~A gallery of some of my different artwork and other beautiful pictures I like~

Pages

Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Biblical Art Series: Rembrandt (Part 1)


Personally, I know very little about classical art or paintings, their styles, their histories and so on. However, I recognize the beauty of these classical paintings. Like music, paintings have a way of expressing feelings and thoughts that words alone sometimes don't do.  So, I decided to start a small series on classical biblical art. I think I'll start with the very talented works of the 17th Century Dutch painter, Rembrandt. His paintings are deep and reflective, though one could say that his depictions of Biblical events were certainly locked within his own contemporary cultural context. Be Blessed. 





Here are some paintings on the life of Christ:

Adoration of the Shepherds

Adoration of the Magi


Presentation of Jesus in the
Temple (1631)
Simeon with  the Christ-Child in
the Temple (1669)


Flight From Egypt (1627)


Portrait of Christ (1650)

Storm on the Sea of Galilee

Return of the Prodigal Son

Christ Driving the Money Changers From
the Temple (1625)

The Raising of Lazarus (1631-32)

Christ Before Pilate


Raising of the Cross (c. 1633)

Christ on the Cross

Descent From the Cross

Doubting Thomas (1634)

The Supper At Emmaus (1648)

Ascension of Christ


4 comments:

Joy said...

These are truly beautiful, Sarah! Thank you for sharing :).
In His love,
~Joy

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,
These paintings are lovely. I looked at them with your words in mind, about how painting like music can express feelings and thoughts the way words sometimes can't, and saw this. There is a beautiful softness and yet also a brightness that comes through in many of the paintings.
Thank you for sharing these!
Love,
Maddy

Sarah C. said...

Dear Joy,
Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they.
love,
Sarah

Sarah C. said...

Dear Maddy,
I'm glad you like them. They are very reflective and deep.
love in Him,
Sarah